Now that the US Supreme Court has ruled that Mumia will not be granted a new trial or even a hearing on issues related to guilt or innocence, we have decided to launch a campaign to demand that Attorney General Eric Holder and the Justice Department conduct a civil rights investigation. Specifically, we are asking Holder and the Justice Department to assess the suppression of evidence that could have led to Mumia's acquittal, as well as the other egregious examples of prosecutorial and judicial misconduct in the 27- year court process.
The four currently planned components of this campaign are:
- A letter writing campaign to Eric Holder.
- A focus on getting the NAACP to actively support this campaign in line with its unfulfilled promise in its 2004 resolution when it "reiterated its support of the international movement for a new and fair trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal." WE WILL BE AT THE HILTON HOTEL IN NYC ON MONDAY, JULY 13 WHEN ERIC HOLDER WILL BE ADDRESSING THE CONVENTION.
- A day of lobbying of congressional representatives to support a civil rights investigation (letters are being sent and calls are being made to them to request appointments) on WEDNESDAY, JULY 22.
- A press conference is being scheduled for mid-September in Washington, DC. Details will be announced.
- Sign the letter to attorney general Eric Holder online or download and mail to the FMAJC address as listed on the letter.
- Contact local NAACP chapters, and ask them to join us at the NAACP NATIONAL CONVENTION IN NYC ON MONDAY, JULY 13TH, to call on the organization to actively support this campaign
- Get your local congressional representative to endorse the campaign, to write his/her own letter or just sign onto the letter we are circulating. Let us know about the congressional representatives you are contacting by e-mailing us at email@example.com or calling us at (212) 330-8029. JOIN US IN LOBBYING DAY ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22ND. We are providing a free bus from NYC, leaving at 5 am and returning by 10 pm. (If you need housing for the night before, let us know by calling or e-mailing to above contacts)