Sunday, May 27, 2007

Statement by William Singletary, a witness in the case of Mumia Abu-Jamal

Following is a Statement by William Singletary, a witness in the case of Mumia Abu-Jamal (1995 PCRA hearing). This statement was sent to the Labor Action Committee To Free Mumia Abu-Jamal, in order that it be read at rallies held in solidarity with death-row journalist Mumia Abu-Jamal, on the day of what likely is his last appeal hearing--before a panel of the Third Circuit federal court in Philadelphia, PA, May 17th 2007.

Singletary says he is perhaps the only true witness to the events of the early morning hours of December 9th, 1981, at 13th and Locust streets in Philadelphia, at which radio journalist and former Black Panther Mumia Abu-Jamal was beaten, and fingered by police for the murder of a police officer. Singletary was never called to testify at the rigged and racist charade, which is sometimes referred to as Mumia's1982 trial.

Singletary insists that Mumia Abu-Jamal did not even arrive on the scene until after the officer was shot, and did not in any way participate in the shooting. Mumia himself was a victim, having been shot and then viciously attacked by white Philadelphia cops.

The hearing on May 17th may be Mumia's last. It concerns only a few issues out of a great many outstanding questions in this case, most of which have never been heard in court. The evidence shows that Mumia is innocent, and the statement below is just one of the many proofs of that fact. Rallies in solidarity with Mumia Abu-Jamal are being held in Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, San Francsco and San Jose California, as well as London, Toronto, Amsterdam, and others internationally.

(for a photocopy of the original signed statement, send a request by email to: LACFreeMumia@aol.com.)



Good-morning/Afternoon;

My name is William Singletary. I am an eye-witness to the murder or assassination of Police Officer Daniel Faulkner on December 9, 1981, in the early morning hours at 13th and Locust Street in Philadelphia, PA.

Mumia Abu-Jamal did not shoot Daniel Faulkner. I stood as close as 12 to 15 feet when Officer Faulkner was killed. When two bullets were viciously pumped into Officer Faulkner, the shooter then looked into my direction.

We locked eyes for a few seconds. His stare was like a thousand ice picks aiming for my heart. I slowly backed up; we never unlocked eyes until he flung the 22 caliber pistol to the right rear wheel of the Volkswagen.

That's the type of weapon that killed the officer. I saw it and I told the cops where to retrieve the weapon.

This story has had many twists and turns, according to the police, D.A., and prosecutor's office. None of what they stated is true. As I said, I saw the whole thing as it happened and it was not the way they said. They concocted a story, and put it on paper and the whole world believed what they said. I was told to keep quiet by the police, by Mr. Jamal's attorneys, and people on the street that I had always confided in. No one wanted to lose their business or their jobs. So I was left alone, by myself with this burden of "who will listen to me?" In the city of Philly I was a loner or the "Crazy Nigger" that won't shut up. But when we would be alone or with some brothers that truly believed that Mumia was innocent, guided me through turbulent times.

I came through by moving time after time and taking low-paying jobs to support my family. My family even turned their backs. I lost everything I owned just for telling the truth. I never knew people could be so mean; I am talking about professional people. I watched those cops turn into pure animals when they did their dance around Mr. Jamal. They beat him and kicked him, spit on him, called him nigger and violated all of his civil rights. Every one of those cops on the scene took part in the beating and the little dirty dance they did.

Mr. Jamal cried and begged them to stop because he had been shot, but they continued to punch, kick, and beat him with their blackjacks until he was unable to move on his own power. They then picked him up and tried to split his body on a "No Parking" sign. At this point he was too weak to say anything. The cops kept chanting, "Ramp, Ramp, Ramp" in reference to an officer that was slain at an early Move confrontation. This was a retribution for his reporting of that incident.

I don't know about all the ins and outs of this case. But what I do know is that Mumia Abu-Jamal did not shoot Police Officer Daniel Faulkner. Mr. Jamal was savagely beaten by the Philadelphia police. The whooping of Mr. Jamal makes Rodney King's beating look like a picnic. I mean I have traveled the world, been in a war zone, and come home to witness this barbaric, savage, animal-like beating of another human being. These are sworn officers of the law, all white, not one black. They know what I saw and I've been threatened ever since. Not to the point of bodily harm, but to the point of the loss of my businesses and all my friends.

When I speak of this I sometimes shiver to think of all the pain he suffered at the hands of people who were sworn to serve and protect. I would just like to say I am not crazy or fantasizing about anything. What I said is the whole truth. I am glad to have you all listen and speak to whomever to give this man a new trial. I was never called to the first trial so maybe I will be called to the next one. I am a Vietnam Veteran; I did receive a purple heart for wounds received in combat. I received an honorable discharge. I successfully ran legit businesses in Philly before I was "ran out of town."

Hopefully there is someone within the sound of my voice that can reach out and help these twenty-five years of hell to be brought to some kind of closure. As I said and keep saying, "Mumia Abu-Jamal is an innocent man."

I was there and I said what I saw. So please continue to support him however you may.

Thank you. "Peace brothers and sisters"

Signed,

William Singletary

No comments: